2014-2016M. Ed - Educational Technology & Design
University of Saskatchewan Completed course work in: Historical and Theoretical Foundations of Educational Technology, Multimedia Design for Learning, Designing for Distance Learning, Instructional Design, Models & Methods for Evaluation of Educational Programs, Research Methods, Current Topics in Educational Technology & Design, and Social Media & Open Education.
2009-2012B. Ed - Secondary Math & Science
University of Regina Internship: MICDS, St. Louis, MO Internship Supervisor: Dr. Alec Couros
2007-2009Mathematics & ChemistryUniversity of Saskatchewan Transfer Credit to University of Regina
2018-presntMath & Science ConsultantRegina Catholic Schools Regina, SK Provides direct and indirect support services to teachers and administrators in matters related to curriculum, instructional strategies, and assessment in Mathematics and Science from Kindergarten to Grade 12.
2017-18Grade 6/7 TeacherSt. Nicholas School, Regina Catholic Schools Regina, SK
Courses Taught: Math 7, Math 6, Science 6/7, Science 7/8, ELA 6/7, Religion 6/7, Health 6/7, Fully Alive 6/7, and Career Ed 6/7. Additional Responsibilities: Connected Educator, Technology Leader, Food Tower Gardening Club, Science Fair Organizer, Boys Volleyball, Track and Field Coach, Badminton Coach, Recess and Lunch Supervision.
2016-17Teacher Technology CoachEducation Technology, Regina Catholic Schools Regina, SK Responsible for directly supporting teachers and students with their technology integration. Provided multiple professional development sessions for teachers, worked directly one-on-one with teachers, delivered specialized lessons to classrooms, and modeled effective technology integration into classrooms for teachers. Was a project leader on BookItLab integration and played a significant role in Scholantis migration for Education Technology.
2014-16Grade 7/8 TeacherSt. Josaphat School, Regina Catholic Schools Regina, SK
Courses Taught: Math 7, Math 8, Science 7/8, ELA 7/8, Religion 7/8, Arts Ed. 7/8, Core French 7/8, and PAA 7/8. Additional Responsibilities: Digital Citizenship 7 & 8 Online Course Development Team, Technology Leader, Student Technology Team Supervisor, Science Fair Organizer, Boys Volleyball, Track and Field Coach, Intramural Coordinator and Supervisor, Recess and Lunch Supervision . Additional Projects: Coding/Programming Club, Hour of code, Genius Hour, Saskatchewan Middle Years Twitter Chat (#myclasschat), Piloting Chromebooks in the Classroom (CSCC Funded), Virtual Student Collaborations with MIT Graduate/PhD Students, Grade 7 Treaty Education Renewal Project with OTC.
2012-14High School STEM TeacherMary Institute and Country Day School St. Louis, MO Courses Taught: Integrated Mathematics 1, Integrated Mathematics 1 Accelerated, Integrated Mathematics 2, STEM 1 (pilot course), Atomic Structure, and Reaction Quantities. Used Instructure Canvas as a learning management system for all of my courses. Additional Responsibilities: Educational Technology Advisory Team, STEM Curriculum Development Team, I-Skate Faculty Sponsor, ISACS Student Government Committee, 11th Grade Advisor. Additional Projects: Hour of Code, Mathematics Rocket Project, Blogging Current Events in STEM, Google+ Hangouts with MIT Graduate Students, and 3D Printing in Math.
2012-14Varsity Hockey CoachMICDS Athletics St. Louis, MO Named as 2013 and 2014 Midstates Hockey League All Star Coach.
2010-14Science Camp InstructorUniversity of Regina Regina, SK Developed and implemented new E-Design program, teaching maker science and game design to students. Travelled Saskatchewan delivering science workshops to K-10 students. Created curriculum and activities for students to engage in science and engineering though weekly camps over summer.
- Connected Educator Professional Development RCSD Professional Development // 2016-17 // Regina, SK
- Networked Learning RCSD Professional Development // 2016-17 // Regina, SK
- Teaching with Technology RCSD Professional Development // 2016-17 // Regina, SK
- Makerspaces in the Library Regina Catholic Teacher’s Institute // 2017 // Regina, SK
- Faith Based Digital Citizenship for 7/8 Classrooms throughh Learning Online Regina Catholic Teacher’s Institute // 2016, 2017 // Regina, SK
- Mimio Teacher Training RCSD // 2016-17
- Genius Hour, Makerspace, Coding Clubs Regina Catholic Teacher’s Institute // Jan 29, 2016 // Regina, SK
- Genius Hour – What’s all the fuss about geniuses anyways? Regina Teacher’s Convention // Mar 6, 2015 // Regina, SK
- "Designing an Integrated, Student-centered STEM Curriculum NSTA 2014 National Conference // April 3-6, 2014 // Boston, MA
- Knocking Down the Classroom Walls: Connecting STEM Students & Graduate Students NSTA STEM Forum & Expo // May 15-18, 2013 // St. Louis, MO
- Faculty Training Workshops on: Google Apps for Ed, Arduinos & 3D Printing, Microsoft OneNote, DyKnow, Canvas by Instructure, Active Grade, Fathom, and Yenka MICDS // 2012-2104 // St. Louis, MO
- Flipping Math Upside Down WestCAST 2012 // February 22-24, 2012 // Calgary, AB
- Using POEs to Teach Scientific Concepts WestCAST 2012 // February 22-24, 2012 // Calgary, AB
- Google 2.0 - More than a search engine WestCAST 2011 // February 23-25, 2011 // Brandon, MB
- Scholantis Training RCSD // 2017 // Regina, SK
- EdCampYQR Nov 5, 2016 // Regina, SK // Part of Organizing Committee
- Assessment: Continuing the Conversation Sandra Herbst // Oct 6, 2016 // Regina, SK
- SaskEdCamp 2.0 May 28, 2016* // Saskatoon, SK // Part of Organizing Committee
- EdCampYQR Apr 9, 2016 // Regina, SK
- Regina Catholic Teacher’s Institute Jan 29, 2016 // Regina, SK
- Treaty Ed Camp Nov 7, 2015 // Regina, SK
- EdCampYQR Oct 3, 2015 // Regina, SK
- SaskEdCamp May 23, 2015 // Saskatoon, SK // Part of Organizing Committee
- RCSD Ed Camp Mar 14, 2015 // Regina, SK // Part of Organizing Committee
- EdCampYQR Feb 28, 2015* // Regina, SK
- RCSD Mimio Training 2014-2015
- ISACS Annual Conference: New Ways to Teach, New Ways to Learn November 7-8, 2013 // St. Louis, MO
- The Brain Goes to School Dr. David Walsh // September 10, 2013 // St. Louis, MO
- NSTA STEM Forum & Expo May 15-18, 2013 // St. Louis, MO
- Standards, Assessments, Grading, and Reporting Thomas Guskey // May 29, 2013 // St. Louis, MO
- Bacon Wrapped Lessons Workshop Feb 25-26, 2013 // Iowa City, IA
- Educon 2.5 Jan 26-28, 2013 // Philadelphia, PA
- Understanding by Design Workshop Jay Mctighe // December 20, 2012 // St. Louis, MO
- NCTM Regional Conference 2012 November 28-30, 2012 // Chicago, IL
- Ken Hitchcock Coaching Symposium October 2012 // St. Louis, MO
- USA Hockey Athletic Development Program November 2012, 2013 // St. Louis, MO
- NCTM Regional Conference 2011 October 26-28, 2011 // St. Louis, MO
- Real World Approach to Project Based LearningDayna Laur (BIE) // August 19-20, 2011 // St. Louis, MO
- Emerging Professionalism ConferenceJanuary, 2011 // University of Regina
- Sciematics 2010 January, 2010 // Regina, SK
- Practical Strategies to Innovate in Any School // AJ Juliani Mar 29, 2017
- Flipgrid Unplugged - Making the Most of Student Voice Mar 14, 2017
- Active Participant and Moderator of #saskedchat // Twitter Weekly
- Hack the Classroom // Microsoft Education Sep 24, 2016
- Hack the Classroom // Microsoft Education Jan 30, 2016
- Active Participant in #CanWestChat // Twitter Monthly
- Assessments That Promote Depth and Retention of Learning // Adam Yankay // G.M.D. Jan. 27, 2015
- Teaching Math as a Form of Writing // Ben Orlin // Global Math Department Jan 21, 2014
- Teacher and Student Questions // David Wees // Global Math Department Aug 27, 2013
- Teaching Character and Creating Positive Classrooms // Relay G.S.E. Coursera.org
- Inquiry Science Learning: Perspectives and Practices // Rice University Coursera.org
- Science from Superheroes to Global Warming // UCIRvine Coursera.org
- Instructional Practices for Mathematics // Steve Leinwand // Global Math Department Aug 20, 2013
- Problem-Based Course Design // Dan Goldner // Global Math Department Sept 10, 2013
- Standards Based Grading in Chemistry // Brain Bennett // Global Chemistry Department Oct 18. 2012
- Chrome Classroom Certification // Sophia.org December 2013
- Flipped Classroom Certification // Sophia.org November 2012
Awards and Recognition
John R. Johnson Chair of Distinguished Teaching
Recognized by administration for outstanding teaching and contributions to the school.
Myrtle A. McGee Prize Nominee
Awarded to students in the Faculty of Education who have completed internship. Candidates are selected from the top 20 interns each year based on faculty advisor and co-operating teacher reports.
Featured Flipped Classroom Teacher
Featured by Sophia.org as an example of flipped classroom success.
Selected to be an ambassador for Flipgrid and provide early feedback and insight to upcoming product changes.
"Kyle is indeed the vision of a 21st century educator. Kyle regularly uses social networks and new media to solve problems, to share resources, and to develop as a professional. Yet, these new technologies do not consume Kyle. He has achieved, at this very early stage in his career, the ability to balance the affordances of new technologies with thoughtful instructional strategies. He isn’t carried away with the glitter of new tools. Rather, he uses his sharp, critical mind to think deeply about the impact of such tools and both the benefits and drawbacks of their implementation. It is a skill that I have not seen in many tech-savvy, experienced educators, and certainly not in an individual of such limited classroom experience."